Sustainable industrial crops in Europe: new market opportunities and business models which do not replace food production
How can industrial crops contribute to new market opportunities, business models and sustainable farming systems which create value for farmers in the EU, while not replacing food production? A new focus group has been founded and consists of many experts of the H2020 project MAGIC and PANACEA. Their tasks include collecting practical and inspiring examples and good practices in growing industrial crops in Europe, while not replacing food production.
- Collect practical and inspiring examples and good practices in growing industrial crops in Europe while not replacing food production.
- Identify existing value chains of bio-based materials where farmers have the potential to play a substantial role, through long-term agreements or direct participation, while considering different bio-climatic conditions, agro-ecosystems and forms of cooperation along the chain.
- Discuss strengths and weaknesses of the identified value chains, notably with regard to the diversification of farmers’ incomes and the environmental performance of the holding and of the whole value chain.
- Suggest innovative business models to foster integrated links between production/business/applied research.
- Identify further research needs from practice and possible gaps in technical knowledge. Suggest innovative solutions and provide ideas for EIP-AGRI Operational Groups and other innovative projects.